Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wake up call - part 1

I joined Stroller Strong moms back in March.  They were just finishing a fitness challenge around the time I started.  Participants did weigh ins and assessments, they even gave prizes to the top 3 improved.  Pretty neat idea, and I was bummed I had missed it.  A few weeks ago I made a suggestion to Kelli that we do something similar, except monthly (and keep the results private).  My assessment was Tuesday.  I did 2 min of step-ups, 1 min of push ups, planking for as long as I could hold it, 100m dash, and an 800m run.

Now, let me tell you, back in highschool and college:
My 100m time was 13.7
I never ran an 800 timed, but my 400 was 60sec, I imagine my 800 would have been 2:30 or 3min (that's not fast, I was never good for more than 400m)
People didn't plank when I was in school, at least not normally.  In college we did "benches" which were planks without the arm support. someone sat on your legs and you suspended yourself off the edge of a bench, even that was only twice a week, on weight days.  We did crunches.
We also did stadiums, not step ups. And as for push-ups - I have no idea my numbers.  In highschool, I was the amazing wonder kid who lead the pack, but in college I was more in the middle.  It's hard to compete with those strong specialized sprinters!

Anyway, the point of all that tangent was that I used to be very athletic and it was something I was proud of.  Tuesday was a wakeup call.

54 seconds of planks... 121 step ups, 18 push-ups, my 100m time was 18 seconds, and my 800m was 5m39s.  Are you kidding me?  What was worse is that I woke up the next day and was so incredibly sore!  

My ankle is finally better, so now is the time, I'm going to SSM at Forsythe park in addition to Gregory. I'm stressing about the gas, but I inflated my FJ tires last night.  I had a very low tire, but even the "full ones" were 23-27 psi.  The max pressure is 44psi so I inflated to 37.  I will ask Andrew if he thinks 40 would be better since we only do road driving.  Hopefully my mileage will improve.  I will still cycle on the off days, and lift my weights at home.  Since I have nowhere to go but up, I want to go WAY up.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment