Monday, June 24, 2013

Vittles!



I have a neat little system for 80s "solids". First off, I bought this steamer/blender by Cuisinart off Amazon and have been very happy with it.

It eliminates dishes because I can steam and purée in the same container.  And it only has 3 cleanable parts (removable blade, the container, and the lid) which is another huge plus for me.

I chose this processor over other such as the Baby Bullet, Baby Brezza, or the Nuk Freshfoods processor based on reviews.  The bullet tends to shred its own plastic, and I can't remember if its the Nuk or the Brezza but one of them, a reviewer tried to contact them about the chemical makeup of the coating on the inside of the steam tank because some had flaked off in the child's food.  And they were not able to answer her because they couldn't retrieve the information from their factory in china. That is a huge red flag for me, shouldn't they know what is being used by their factory?!  Shouldn't they give the factory the design, specs, and material list and the Chinese factory make it??  Scary!

Anyway. I digress.  Cuisinart is a great brand, tried and true and I like their food processor.  It's also a bottle warmer but I have not had any luck getting that to adequately warm my bottles.  I have since switched to using the Playtex drop ins, and I rewarm those in Keurig water so I never use the bottle warming feature anymore.

I purée whatever I'm making with skins on.  You can see in the pictures that after the steaming, the skins are no bigger than flecks of pepper.  The steamer deposits steam water in with whatever you're steaming, great for avacados, but it made the pears too liquid.  I dumped all of the water out for the apples and like their consistency much more.

So onto the storage.  I bought this ice cube tray at my local TJ Maxx.  The amazon price is the same, I paid 7.99. 
ice cube tray, the two cubes are pears and apples

I was attracted by the bottom of the tray, which is silicone (It's all BPA free).  I don't have to crack the ice cubes or twist the tray, just flip over and pop the bottom.  I've frozen avocado, banana, carrots, apples and pears and never had an issue with sticking, they come right out!  Plus the little ice cubes are a perfect serving size for 80, who is really just sampling food right now.  As he gets older I can add more cubes.  I pop them in the microwave in increments of 10 seconds to warm them up.  This set of 2 ice cubes took 30 seconds total, but normally I can get good room temp results in 15 seconds.

When I store my ice cubes I put them in leftover hillshire farms deli meat containers, sorted by vegetables or fruit, very simple and stackable.

The last time I gave 80 pears, he liked them but he wasn't exactly in the mood.  Today they went over much better!  He also seemed to enjoy the apples.  Here he is sitting in the Fisher Price high chair his Aunt Kim gave him.


And the obligatory video

1 comment:

  1. (Mom)
    He's really slurping the pears today. He looks like such a big boy sitting in the high chair.
    :)
    :)
    :)

    ReplyDelete