Tuesday, July 23, 2013

🌟Some DIY onesies🌟

I found some gerber plain white onesies at Burlington. I had been wanting to try stovetop dying some onesies for some time.  I'd practiced on my sports bras and it turned out ok.  I had the same issues this time around though.  Despite soaking the fabric in water before placing it in the dye, my onesies still came out a little splotchy.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. A quick Internet search didn't shed any light on the issue either so I guess I will have to keep practicing.

Using an automatic stir gadget I bought a few years ago.  It doesn't work well stirring food or clothes.
Drying in the dishwasher.  I had wrung them out VERY WELL before doing this.

I ended up with 1 orange and 4 navy onesies.  I didn't have any plan after that point.  I thought I might like to sew a little tie and vest, maybe even a corsage, but I didn't think it would look right on navy.  I also thought about embroidering some words or animals (I may still do that) but a quick closet search didn't produce my fuseable interfacing (still lost in the move probably).  So I settled on acrylic painting.  I don't own any fabric pens which would have made this a heck of a lot easier, and didn't feel like buying any so I was stuck using my artists paint.  

For the design, I decided on "80", Adrian's nickname.  I wanted it to look like old school numbers, or like the kind you find spray painted on the side of crates.  I perused dafont.com and an old school design caught my eye.  The numerals had a descending gradient, so I free handed the design using white chalk on my shirt, and applied duct tape over the major lines and across the gradient to ensure crisp lines.  
A little bit of white acrylic later I had what looked like "An" on his shirt.  I knew I needed an outline, my mom suggested lime green, brilliant! I free handed the outline (more embroider vs paint debate, I chose paint to save time) it's a little messy but its a first try and I wasn't going for perfect.  I wanted it to look a little "home made".  It has its own aesthetic, like bad folk art on the side of Latin American buildings or middle school artwork.  
I'm pretty pleased with the end result.  I'm still brainstorming for the remaining 4 onesies!


No comments:

Post a Comment